Wednesday, August 16, 2006

THANKS AMY AND DIANN FOR THE SUPPORT



Dear Honorable ............,

I am currently an educator in a high school setting in Illinois. For the past eight years I have worked in the special education department with high school students who have behavioral and emotional problems. Prior to my current position, I worked as a chemical analyst for Kerr McGee in Las Vegas. Throughout my career, I have come to understand that ones home and community context greatly influence a childs success or failure both in school and out of school.

As his aunt, I have known Jamie Grieman his whole life. I watched Jamie develop from a young child in Garner Iowa to the young man he is now. I lived with his family in California during my first years as a teacher in California and when I moved to Las Vegas, Jamie stayed with me as he was searching for a job. I spent many summers at his home, witnessed his involvement in sports, and spent long hours camping with him just talking. I continue to visit him and his parents on a regular basis.

I have come to know my nephew, Jamie as a gentle, selfless, giving person. He has always been there for others. He was constantly helping his fellow students and friends in school and was recognized as a friend to all. From his earliest days, Jamie has had the reputation of being there for all types of individuals. He refrained from joining gangs or cliques. He was a person known for his openness and understanding. At times, I saw Jamie suffer because he was unwilling to join groups that ridiculed others, or were prejudiced toward others� sex, race, or creed.

Throughout the last few years, Jamie has been through a great deal of tragedy. He lost his only brother, Josh, who was killed in a tragic accident. He watched his parents go through an extremely difficult time and recently, he has had to face serious health problems of his father. Jamie has shown amazing courage and strength throughout these situations. Despite his own grief, he supported his family by helping in all the circumstances surrounding his brother�s death and he now supports his father with his health problems as well as providing strength for his mother during these hard times.

As I have said, Jamie has always been there to help others but recently, he has found a way to put that talent to good use through the Red Cross. I believe he has found a place for himself in life. When I heard of Jamie�s crime I cried and I cried as I tried to write this letter. I love my nephew. Yes, he did something very wrong and Jamie will be the first to tell you that. But, during the last 2 years he has grown to a level I would never have dreamed. He has developed into a man I admire and respect. Jamie has always been a kind, gentle, and giving person to others and now he has found a very positive way to do that by working for the Red Cross. To take this away from him now for an extended period of time would be a mistake. Jamie should pay for his crime but because of his progress over the last couple of years I ask you to please grant him a lenient sentence. Please take into account his good character, his volunteer work, his rehabilitation and his exemplary conduct during his bail. Most importantly, please take into account that he is helping society and making a difference.


Respectfully,

Amy L. Mod.......





Dear Honorable............,

I have worked as a university professor with Northern Illinois University in DeKalb Illinois for over 25 years. My research has focused on the social foundations of education and, as such, I have developed a heightened awareness and sensitivity to the ways that norms and social structures affect our identities and roles in a community. Throughout my career, I have collaborated with teachers and students in both inner-city Chicago environments as well as suburban communities. I have taught in schools that service housing projects for the poor and schools in midst of wealthy communities. My experience tells me that, despite economic privilege or poverty, children and adults in all communities suffer greatly from bias and prejudice based on race, religion, gender, sexual preference, socio-economic status, handicaps, etc. Often, children and adults make serious mistakes in an attempt to make sense of their own place and space in this complex, biased society. I recognize that these mistakes and crimes cannot and should not be excused because of one�s social identity but I have come to understand that crimes occur both from two very different motives: some crimes stem from selfish, heinous motives and some crimes stem from foolish, attempts to help others and make sense of ones own identity. The first set of crimes requires strong punishment whereas the second set of crimes requires a mixture of punishment and treatment.

I have known Jamie Greiman for over nine years. I was introduced to Jamie through his aunt, a fellow educator, with me in Illinois. Throughout these years, I have spent time both in California, in Nevada, and other vacations spots while on holiday or while visiting family and friends. I have had regular contact with Jamie each year for a minimum of week. I have also communicated with Jamie regularly throughout this time via the telephone or via e-mail. My conversations with Jamie have often taken a serious turn concerning his own life in San Francisco and his own experiences in that city. Throughout these experiences I have come to know Jamie as an extremely sensitive, kind individual whose basic orientation is to help others. I have witnessed Jamie spend his last dollar providing a place to stay and some food for another person who was in need. I have met others who convey similar stories about Jamie indicating that he had helped them in difficult times. I have heard Jamie discuss his own personal points of view about the nature of society and the need to take action when others are in need or who feel they do not fit well in mainstream society.

To be honest, I was dismayed and shocked when I heard of Jamies crime. I felt deeply disappointed that he had chosen such a route and, even worse, had succumbed to addiction. However, throughout the past two years, I am encouraged by the way Jamie has responded to his arrest and trail procedure. Jamie has overcome his addition. He has taken steps to improve his overall health and has used his time awaiting trial to help others in a professional manner. He has worked with the Red Cross and has learned to channel his natural instincts to assist others through this agency. He has decided to make caring of others not only a personal cause but a career. He has told me that by channeling his natural interests within a larger organization more can be accomplished. Jamie seems to have found a place and space in mainstream society that makes sense to him. In a sense, this terrible mistake and crime has had a positive impact on his life.

I, therefore, ask that Jamie be granted a lenient sentence, one that is as short as possible and one that permits him to help society rather than simply spend wasted and costly time in a penal institution. I do not mean to imply that Jamie should be exempted from punishment; I simply ask that you allow his punishment to be one that permits Jamies talents to continue help others. My reasons for this include his good character, ongoing-volunteer work, rehabilitation, exemplary conduct since his release on bail over two years ago, and, most importantly, his acceptance of responsibility and commitment to a changed life.


Respectfully,

Diann M......
Distinguished Teaching Professor
Foundations of Education

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home